CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday 22 February 2009

The Wee Free Men, Terry Pratchett


Miss Perspicacia Tick, a witch of some renown, is worried about a ripple in the walls of the universe--probably another world making contact. Which is not good. This errant activity is centred on some chalk country--where traditionally good witches simply do not grow well. Fortunately, Miss Tiffany Aching of Home Farm on The Chalk, nine years old, misunderstood and yearning for excitement, wants to be a witch and has just proved herself to be of great potential by whacking a big Green Monster from the river with a huge frying pan while using her annoying younger brother as bait. Miss Tick is impressed. So, after travelling to the chalky downs at once and dispensing some stop gap advice to Tiffany about holding the fort until she gets back with more help, Miss Tick is off.
Any hesitation Tiffany may have had about the seriousness of the situation expires when the Queen of the fairies kidnaps her younger brother. With the help of a talking frog, loaned by Miss Tick, and an army of thieving, warmongering, nippy, boozy wee free men called the Nac Mac Feegle (who used to work for the Queen but rebelled), Tiffany sets off rescue her kin.
There's humour at every turn, and the situations that follow are both wonderfully dramatic and preposterously unreal. Pratchett really is the master of his genre and it's difficult to imagine a more entertaining read.
I loved this one, (I got my son to borrow it from the school library)
I don't think there is a Pratchett book I did't enjoy, maybe that is the child in me! LOL
The Nac mac Feegle are just a superb group of Pictsies!!
If you fancy some light fun reading then this is for you!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I've never read a Pratchett book, i better look out for one and see what i think, it sounds a fun read.

Karan said...

Same here: never read one but my DS (23) has & loves them. I will get round to reading one to see what I've been missing! :0)

Anonymous said...

It may just be my sense of humour ,but I do love these stories