CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday 23 July 2011

The Woman he Loved Before by Dorothy Koomson



As always with Dorothy Koomson, her books always have an element of drama about them. They always seem to radiate true emotion and I always finish one of her books feeling sad that I have to wait for another.
This particular story seems at first glance to be a straight cut story about Jack's wife Eve who died. However, things are far from straightforward and as soon as you pick up the book and start to read you are drawn into the current life of his present wife, Libby who is struggling with things, as well as Eve's past life and the secrets she holds.

The story is told cleverly and although towards the latter part of the book I thought I had it all figured out, I was shocked to realise I was wrong. Libby is a lovely character who has her own insecurities about her husband Jack and the things he hides. Although it's clear that Jack has a troubled past you can't help but warm to him as a reader. He may not be perfect but you can't help but feel that his heart truly belongs to Libby.

Dorothy Koomson has again written a book that is not only powerful but one that is quite heart wrenching. When the past of Jack and Eve begin to come out you begin to realise that things are not quite as black and white as they seem.
I loved the fact that story had two very separate threads, one in the past and one in the current, but the two stories would intertwine magically. I also loved the setting being mainly in Brighton as well as London. The main topics that are dealt with in the book are always the easiest for an author to deal with well but this book truly relays the situations in a great way. As ever Dorothy Koomson has produced an outstanding book that I literally couldn't (or wouldn't as my husband kindly pointed out) put down. I cannot recommend this book, or for that matter this author highly enough. I have yet to find fault with her writing or any of her books. An absolute joy to read and one I suggest that you put on your list to read.
As you may have guessed I love Dorothy Koomson books and this is the forth I have read by her, only three more to go!
Chris

0 comments: